Sony will recall 1.6 million of its Bravia LCD TVs after revealing that there have been a number of incidents of melting parts.
Eleven incidents were reported to the company, all from Japan, but Sony said that the faulty components could be employed in its Bravia range throughout the world. The first reports were made as far back as 2008, suggesting that Sony has been aware of this risk for some time.
|Payday Loans: Borrow up to £1000
Up to £1000 in 60 minutes at no extra
cost. All from the privacy of home
|Bad Credit Loans
Quick payday loans. Borrow up to £1000 online. Repay on your payday!
Sony appears to have acted only in response to an incident last month where customers called the fire brigade after noticing smoke and a small fire coming from their TV, according to Bloomberg.
All of the cases involved TV sets emitting smoke or parts of the TV melting from overheating. Some reports seem to downplay the fire risk, but it appears that the recent fire was the deciding factor in the decision to recall the products.
Sony believes that the problem lies with the backlight system, which is overheating and causing the top of the TV to melt. This system is used in all five Bravia models being recalled.
No one was injured in any of the incidents, nor was there any damage to property, but the potential for something serious to happen outweighs the financial loss of recalling and replacing or refunding all 1.6 million units.
The TVs in question were manufactured in 2007 and 2008 and the majority were sold in Europe and the US, but some were also sold in Japan and other parts of the world.
Sony will email customers and issue an advisory on its web site for those affected.
Dave Brown, London Fire Brigade’s Assistant Commissioner for community fire safety said, “This issue with Sony televisions is a stark reminder of how dangerous electrical appliances can be if they malfunction. Our advice is that people should switch off and unplug their appliances whenever they aren’t being used and do not leave TVs on standby. In case a fire does start, have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home so you will be alerted and have the chance to get out.”
Powered by Facebook Comments